Frequently Asked Questions
Q.1 What is the difference between PGDM/PGDHM and MBA?
PGDHM expands to Post Graduate Diploma in Hospital and Health Management, the confusion starts when you see the term Diploma. Many students are of the view that it is a Diploma course and not a Degree; you are right to an extent that it is a Diploma. The main reason why postgraduate courses are named as PG Diploma is because when an Institute is an autonomous body (meaning it is not affiliated to any University) and conducts management courses then such Institutes cannot offer MBA degree. Even IIMs, XLRI’s doesn’t offer MBA degrees they only give PGP Diploma or PGDM since they are autonomous and independent bodies.
When an Institute secures autonomy they design their own curriculum to be taught instead of following outdated University syllabus. The reason why they chose to do is because the curriculum can be updated regularly depending on the need in Industry. Hence one can say that PGDM/PGDHM courses are more Industry relevant as compared to MBA courses.
Colleges which offer AICTE approved courses will also offer PG Diploma not MBA, for example XYZ College is affiliated to ABC University they offer MBA course affiliated to that University, the same college is offering AICTE approved course it means they are offering PGDM which is not linked to ABC University.
Typically if any PGDM/PGDHM is to be equivalent to MBA then the course duration should be 2 years, a 1 year PGDM/PGDHM will not be equal to MBA course.
- Only universities can offer MBA: In India only those management institutes which are affiliated to a university can offer an MBA degree. Also IIMs, though being the best of the lot, can’t offer MBAs as they are not affiliated with any university. Institutes which are not affiliated to university are autonomous and can offer PGDM (Post Graduate Diploma in Management)/ PGDHM degree. However, these programmes are approved by regulatory bodies such as AICTE.
- Difference in focus of curriculum: While there are huge similarities in the curriculum of both MBA and PGDM/PGDHM, there are finer points of difference. While MBA focuses more on theoretical aspects of management and is more exam-oriented, PGDM/PGDHM has a focus on building soft skills and is industry-oriented. It prepares you for the job market.
- Curriculum of PGDM/PGDHM is flexible: Since an autonomous institute does not have to follow university standards, it is free to change its curriculum according to industry standards and change in business environment. Also a PGDM/PGDHM gives you an industry exposure. Whereas it will take time to change the curriculum for MBAs as it is affiliated with a university and it will essentially follow the university guidelines and changing this curriculum is a very slow process.
- Difference in focus: An MBA will help in developing technical skills and business knowledge whereas a PGDM/PGDHM will prepare graduates for senior level positions in industry and paves the way for a strong corporate career. Hence, if you’re looking for a career in the challenging area of management, you should go for PGDM/PGDHM.
Q.2 What are the courses offered by IIHMR Delhi?
IIHMR Delhi offers a two-year full-time PGDHM (Post Graduate Diploma in Hospital & Health management with specializations in
- Hospital Management
- Health Management
- Health Information Technology
In the first year; students would study the common subjects related to hospital and health management. In the second year students would study the specialization subjects which ever they are opting for.
Q.3 Who are eligible to apply for this programme?
Any graduate can apply for this programme provided he or she has a minimum 50% of aggregate marks in their graduation and they should have any one of valid CAT, MAT, XAT, ATMA,GMAT or CMAT entrance exam score card. Graduates who have a minimum of 2 years work experience are exempted from taking entrance exams and can directly apply for this course.
Q.4 What is the admission procedure?
First you need to apply for PGDHM either online or manually. Once we receive your application; we shall verify and inform you whether your application is accepted by us or not. After accepting your application; we shall call for GD/PI (Group Discussion & Personal Interview) to test your communication skills, knowledge, confidence level, etc. Based on your performance in GD/PI; you will be offered admission. Once you get the scan copy of your admission letter by email; then within 10 days you have to pay your first installment fee and confirm your admission; failing which your admission offer would be cancelled.
Q.5 What kind of preparation do I need to make for the Group Discussion / Personal Interview?
GD/PI is a process to test your communication skill and knowledge. Since PGDHM is a unique programme related to hospital and health sector; we would want to know from you that how much passionate you are to contribute and work in hospital and health sector. You should have a strong reason why you want to do this PGDHM programme.
Q.6 I am not from medical background. Will this course help me?
We had and have students from both medical and non-medical backgrounds. Actually this course PGDHM at IIHMR helps to fulfill the dreams of non-medical graduates who wants to contribute and work in hospital and health management sector. Later, with scarcity of jobs for medical related background graduates; those medical graduates also started applying for this programme to work in management of hospitals and healthcare organisations. IIHMR, Delhi focuses on management aspects and not into medical or science. Hence, graduates from any background can apply for this programme who wants to work or contribute in hospital and health sector.
Q.7 I am confused with MBA at IIHMR, Jaipur and PGDHM at IIHMR, Bangalore and IIHMR, Delhi. Which would be a better option for me?
Even though terminologies differ like MBA and PGDHM; all IIHMR branches are the same. The same curriculum is followed across all the 3 branches. Faculties, Industry Interface, summer trainings, internships and placements are also same across the 3 branches of IIHMR. IIHMR, Jaipur also used to offer PGDHM only; now couple of year’s back IIHMR, Jaipur has become an university. IIHMR, Bangalore and IIHMR, Delhi continues to be autonomous Institutes approved by AICTE (All India Council for Technical Education). PGDHM or MBA; whichever you choose and study; would be treated as the same during your campus placements.
Depending on your location or your favorite destination to study and carry beautiful memories of two years; you can decide which branch of IIHMR you want to apply to.
Q.8 What advantages IIHMR, Delhi have compared to IIHMR, Jaipur and IIHMR, Bangalore?
- Awarded best healthcare management Institute by Six sigma
- Excellent placement record nationally and internationally
- Experienced and multi-disciplinary faculty from Hospital & Healthcare Industry
- Course curriculum updated by industry experts regularly
- Leader in delivering International management development trainings programs
- Dynamic healthcare research activity portfolio
Q.9 Can I get education loan for PGDHM and how can I get?
Yes. You can get education loan for PGDHM from all the leading banks across India. It is always better to check and apply for education loan in the bank where you or your parents are banking and have good transaction records. Most of the banks give 100% course fee of PGDHM as loan.
Banks would ask for a set of documents which needs to be submitted by you as well as from IIHMR, Delhi. Once you pay your first installment fee; and become bonafide student of IIHMR, Delhi; then we shall give a set of documents as required by bank to process your education loan.
Q.10 How are the placements at IIHMR, Delhi?
IIHMR, Delhi has MOU’s with leading hospitals, healthcare companies, Health IT companies, NGO’s, etc. for summer trainings, internships and placements across India and abroad also. Majority of the students get placed in campus placements during their study of PGDHM. Many students get placed even before the course completion.
IIHMR, Delhi has excellent placement track record. Many students get multiple offers from hospitals and healthcare companies; then students make the choice of which offer they want to choose. Students completing this program are expected to occupy positions of managers and leadership in hospital, healthcare management, Health IT, Insurance Sector, etc.
Q.11 How old is IIHMR, Delhi and PGDHM programme?
IIHMR, Delhi was established in the year 2008; to cater the needs of students as well as Hospital and Healthcare companies. PGDHM was introduced almost 20 years back at IIHMR, Jaipur; with overwhelming response by students as well as recruiters the same PGDHM programme was replicated across all branches of IIHMR Group of Institutions.
Q.12 What is the last date for Application submission for 2017?
29th July 2017
Q.13 Does the Institute provide Hostel facility?
Q.14 If I discontinue the course in the middle or do not join the course, will my deposited tuition fee be refunded?
As per Institution's refund policy. You can check with our academic office.
Q.15 Which are the hospitals and other companies coming for campus recruitments?
Hospital Management: Columbia Asia, Fortis, Max Healthcare, Apollo, Moolchand Hospital, Rockland Hospital, Artemis Hospital, National Heart Institute, Center for sight, Jaipur Golden Hospital, Paras Hospital, Park Hospital, Batra Hospital, Tagore Hospital, Sterling Hospital, etc.
Health Management: WHO, Ministry of Health & family welfare, NACO, PHFI, Pathfinder International, Deepak Foundation, NRHM, HLFPPT, Astron, Octavo solutions Pvt Ltd, Engender, etc.
Health Information Technology Management: Deloitte, Accenture, Dell, HP, Fresco Informatics, Syntel, 21st century healthcare solutions, Neilson, OHUM healthcare solutions, GE, etc.
Q.16 When can I choose the specialization in PGDHM?
You will have to decide the specialization before proceeding on summer training which usually happens at the end of 1st year. By then you would be in a better position to understand and decide which specialization to go for after interacting with faculties, Industry mentors, our Alumni, etc.
Q.17 Can the Final year students or students awaiting their final year results apply for the PGDHM programme?
Yes. They can undergo admission process and confirm their admission. IIHMR, Delhi shall give provisional admission for such candidates. Students should submit all the required documents and mark sheets within two months of commencement of the course.
Q.18 What is the experience one would get while studying at IIHMR – Delhi?
Our students get the basic grinding of health sector including public health management, hospital management and health Information Technology management and related areas during their first year of training. This is followed by summer internship of three months in different health institutions and hospitals. Before commencement of studies of second year, they are required to make a poster presentation on their respective summer assignment, by this time the students have already opted the any of the following three specializations-
- Health Management
- Hospital Management
- Health Information Technology
It is in the second year that they get a comprehensive exposure in their respective specialized field. Their teaching and training of the prescribed syllabus/courses is supplemented by field visits, case studies and group exercises. IIHMR Delhi also invites the guest faculty and expert from and outside Delhi to teach a part or full course wherever needed. Our students develop high skills in presentation, speaking, soft skills and team work while pursuing their two year studies in IIHMR at New Delhi.
Q.19 Please elaborate on the infrastructure at IIHMR.
THE CAMPUS -The aesthetically designed and elegantly built campus of IIHMR is located at Dwarka, New Delhi. The state-of-the-art infrastructure facilities are designed to meet all academic and administrative requirements and are at par with the international standards. The classrooms create an atmosphere conducive to learning and are fully equipped with modern audio-visual facilities for conducting webinars, online lectures etc. The conferencing needs are taken care of by centrally air-conditioned conference halls fitted with the latest technology to facilitate quality industry-academia interface. A well-equipped cafeteria, gym and well furnished guest house are part of the modern campus. The library has a rich collection of national and international journals and books related to Health Management, Management of Healthcare - Information Technology, Hospital Management, Education, Women Empowerment, Leadership, Management Information Systems, Quality Assurance, Health Economics and Finance, Public Health Management, Population Sciences, Research Methodology, Biostatistics, Sociology, Economics, Computer Science & Information Technology, Pharmacovigilance and Clinical Research, Health Insurance, Project Management etc.
Q.20 Elaborate on the placement offered to students?
The students belonging to the above three streams are always selected by the Leading employer, the best corporate hospitals and reputed organizations like PHFI, MOHF&W, NRHM, Deloitte, Accenture, Thumbay Group (Dubai), Dell, CDAC, AIIMS, Fortis Hospital, Jaypee Healthcare, IIT Chennai, NACO, Sterling Hospital, Rockland Hospital, New Delhi, Moolchand, Pushpanjali Hospital, New Delhi, SAF Afghanistan, Fresco Informatics Private Limited, National Heart Institute and many more.
Q.21 Some recent award/ recognition?
We are proud to have students who have achieved distinctions in varied fields, both curricular and extra-curricular. The Institute strives to create a culture of excellence and achievement for our students. Some of the praiseworthy accolades in the recent past.
- Bagged Runner-up position on “Western Management Thought - Indian Workplace: Confused Results New Potpourri” 2nd Inter-campus Presentation Competition organised by JIMS and IMCI in September 2011.
- An NGO “The Dove Foundation” (www.thedoveindia.com) was setup by a group of students and their “Project Aarambh” was supported by MTV’s “Staying Alive Foundation”. Their case story was selected as one of the best in Knowledge Management Impact Challenge by USAID Award. In addition, they were the only Indians to win the MTV presentation “Staying Alive Foundation Award 2011”.
- Awarded scholarship of USD 20,000 for competing the Global Tobacco Control Certificate Program at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, USA.
- Featured in the “Limca Book of Records 2010” and was given the Citizen Journalist Award by Network 18, for her activism in implementing the PNDT Act-1994 (Pre-conception and Prenatal Diagnostic Techniques).
- National Level Award in NIT Kurukshetra Photography contest on “Social Awakening Theme related to Child Health”.
- Prize in Health Quiz competition in Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS), Mumbai, organized by Johnson & Johnson Pvt. Ltd.
Q.22 How can I check the status of my application?
IIHMR, Delhi’s admission cell will contact you via email or phone and update you about the status of your application. You can also call and check about the status of your application.
Q.23 I have further queries about the program. Who should I contact?
For general queries and other information about the program, contact us on Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call at 9555249998.
Q.24 GD/PI dates - 7th April 2017, 12th-13th June 2017 and 7th July 2017